ellie_l: (Zap!)
[personal profile] ellie_l
Dear Livejournal,

Have I told you about hd-fractals.com yet? Because seriously, you should know about them. Below is a zooming in on the Mandelbrot set (which is just the equation z=z^2+C where z=x+i*y solved at every point in the real/imaginary plane. Blackness is when the equation goes to zero, color indicates how quickly that point is going towards infinity). If the starting image were the size of a proton and I zoomed into it until the proton appeared to be the size of the universe, that would be a magnification of ~e.42. This is the Mandelbrot set magnified to e.214.

I recommend hitting the mute button on the video and listening to your favorite classical music while diving into visual mathematics.

Enjoy.

From:
Anonymous( )Anonymous This account has disabled anonymous posting.
OpenID( )OpenID You can comment on this post while signed in with an account from many other sites, once you have confirmed your email address. Sign in using OpenID.
User
Account name:
Password:
If you don't have an account you can create one now.
Subject:
HTML doesn't work in the subject.

Message:

Notice: This account is set to log the IP addresses of everyone who comments.
Links will be displayed as unclickable URLs to help prevent spam.

Profile

ellie_l: (Default)
ellie_l

August 2013