ellie_l: (88 Miles per Hour)
[personal profile] ellie_l
So I was going to send a bunch of links to someone through Facebook, but as far as I can tell it will only let me send one link per message (wtf?) so I thought I'd make an open post here and link here. Also, this means that all ya'll can see some of the websites that I've been interested in lately (and, if I missed any that you really like, I would love to know about them!):

Online Learning
TED: Ideas worth sharing.
This is one of my favorite finds on the internet. People from all different fields getting 18 minutes to talk about what they find interesting. The main site gets updated during the week, but if you've never been there before I highly recommend checking out the "Themes" link on the top of the page. It lets you go to whatever topics sound awesome to you. And after every talk there's a suggestion on what to watch next. Conveniently, you can also download them directly into iTunes using a link on each video's site. I usually have between 10 and 100 different talks on my iPod at any given point in time and listen to them as I travel to work or across the country. One in particular that I've found extremely mind-blowing is this talk by George Smoot who gives a current view of what we (scientists) know about what the universe looks like.

iTunes U
Speaking of iTunes, if you download it (it's free) and click on iTunes Store, there is a link in the upper left that says "iTunes U." This is a fantastic resource where you can download lectures from all sorts of universities. There's so much out there, find the things that you think are interesting and dig into them. If you're having problems following any particular lecture I've found it helpful to stop the video and go to Wikipedia to look up concepts I'm not familiar with. It's been a nice way to learn.

Wikiversity
Speaking of Wikipedia, there's a resource there called Wikiversity that has open source learning resources on it. It's another fantastic way to learn new things.

Project Tuva
Recently, Bill Gates paid the BBC a bunch of money so that he could distribute a lecture series by Richard Feynman, one of the world's greatest physicists. These lectures were given in 1964 at Cornell by Dr. Feynman and are a good watch. Also, it looks like Gates might be trying to get more old science stuff put on here...definitely one to keep an eye on in the future.

Personal and Historical Perspectives of Hans Bethe
This site contains three lectures on quantum physics by Hans Bethe, one of the physicists who worked on the Manhattan Project and tried (unsuccessfully) to stop hydrogen bombs from being invented.

Better Explained: Learn Right, Not Rote
This is a recent find and I've only been able to go through a few of the math sections on it so far, but it gives a very clean, clear, and concise way to talk about mathematics that is very intuitive. If you've ever had problems with math, I highly recommend checking this site out. If you haven't had problems with math, it's worth a good read to help pass on information for those not as informed as yourself.

PhET: Free online physics, chemistry, biology, earth science and math simulations
If you're looking for something a bit more interactive, there are a bunch of fun science demos at PhET. It can give you insight on everything from Newtonian physics to Quantum Mechanics. It was developed by a group of students at the University of Colorado and is a great resource that a lot of physics teachers use to help students pick up on ideas.

100 Incredible Lectures from the World's Top Scientists
This website has exactly what it says it does. You can listen directly to some of the most brilliant people in the world.

Gigapedia
A friend of mine pointed me to this (Thanks, Katz!). If you type in the name of a text book, there is a good chance that you can view DJVU version of the book (if you need a DJVU viewer, look here). Very helpful for those of us on extremely tight budgets. It only works if you register, though, and once you do and sign in, the search is in the upper left and you want it to be on "Gigapedia." If you go to the Links tab, that's where you'll find it.

Science Things

The Naked Scientists
I really like the Kitchen Science section in this. It lets you explore a lot of the way things work through items you can find in your kitchen.

Balancing the Forces
This is a neat site that shows a whole bunch of ways you can balance things. Finding the center of mass can be very pretty.

Brain Maps
Want to know what that big piece of tissue that lets you read this looks like? This is a really neat way to explore and see the brain from cross-cut sections that have been done.

Encyclopedia of Life
This is a neat website where you can look for any species and it will show you pictures and information about it. What I like is that it has maps showing where things live.

Changing the World

Carbon Rally
This has a lot of neat little Green Challenges on it. Take a look and take part!

The Girl Effect
This site lets you give a girl in a developing world a chance to make things better in her life and the life of those around her.

Kiva
This is a neat place where you can give a loan to a business in a developing nation and eventually it is paid back. Lots of people will then take the paid back money and put it back into the system to help out another group of people.

Microplace
A lot like Kiva, where you invest in businesses in the developing parts of the world, only here you can turn a profit on your investment through interest rates.

Take Park
This is a good starting place to find ideas on how you can help the world. It's where I found Microplace from.

Other

Zeer
Want to know what's in your food? Zeer is a searchable database that contains different communities that let you find out if foods are safe to eat if you have different allergies. It also gives a list of ingredients and nutritional information for each listing.

Nibbledish
This is an open source, on-line recipe book. Great cooking resource and if you have any good recipes to share, let the world know about it!

Erowid
This website contains a lot of information about different psychedelic substances. While I do not necessarily condone using any of these substances, I do think that having information about them is extremely important.

Stumble Upon
You know how easy it is sometimes to just flip through the channels endlessly, looking for something good on TV? Well, imagine if you could do that with the internet. Only instead of just flipping aimlessly, it let you vote on things you like and don't like. This lets it show you more of the things you're interested in and less of the things your not. Caution: This Can Lead To Giant Chunks of Time Disappearing.

Date: 2009-07-17 07:44 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] stickplus1.livejournal.com
The Encyclopedia of Life always depressed me. Mainly because there's from eight to ten kingdoms at any given time, instead of the five I grew up with, and I have no goddamn idea what a "chromist" is supposed to be.

Date: 2009-07-17 08:05 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] publictrans.livejournal.com
Aw, those online learning/science things are totally what I would do all the time if I had any time.

And hell yeah Kiva!

Profile

ellie_l: (Default)
ellie_l